Monday, January 14, 2008

Worth it or not? Part 1

I have been meaning to write this post for a few weeks now. I received two kits from Sephora for Christmas (thanks DML!):

The Smashbox Try Me Kit
:



And the Stila Perfect Face Kit: I like getting kits like this as gifts because I can see what products are like without committing to buying them. And, as is often the case, some of the items are worth it and some are most definitely not.

So, let's start out with the Smashbox kit. I mostly wanted this because I have heard great things about the Photo Finish Primer ($36-$42). I must say that I was impressed. It only takes a small amount (one pump) and I feel like my skin looks better at the end of the day when I include this in my routine. Plus it feels silky smooth and luxurious on my face. However, I dont wear foundation on a daily basis so am not sure if I will purchase this again. I would definitely say that it is worth it for someone who does wear foundation daily.

Also included in the kit is the Photo Op Under Eye Brightener ($18). This one is definitely worth it to me. I have thin, pale skin to begin with and that is magnified in the under eye area. I tend to have a little bit of a bluish tint and this does the trick to neutralize it. I do not have serious dark circle issues so I am not sure how well this would work for someone with that concern. Also, I found this on ebay (surprise!) for cheaper and am planning on purchasing the full size that way.

The kit also includes small samples of Brow Tech in blonde, brunette, and taupe ($24!). Honestly, these are generic colors that you can find at any drugstore. I have full brows that do not need filling in but I do not see why someone cannot get the same effect from a much cheaper drugstore version. Not worth it.

I was similarly perplexed by the Brow Tech Wax included ($20!?). Sure it did its job by grooming my brows, but certainly there is a cheaper way to achieve this (vaseline? clear mascara anyone?) Not worth it.


I also wanted to mention that I still have a few great secondhand finds up my sleeve to post from my lucky days earlier in the fall. I went these last few weekends and found not a thing. But that is how it goes!

I will trying to post 3X a week (or possibly more) but I haven't quite found my rhythm as a new blogger. Thanks to all of you who leave comments! They are very much appreciated.






2 comments:

Seeker said...

Thank you for all the information.
I do like make up, but I don't use it on a daily basis, just the lips.
I think if one does it every day on those specials days one looks like the same, so it doesn't "glow".

xxx

Amarie said...

good point! but i truly enjoy the process of putting on my makeup everyday... styling my hair is a whole other story (I dread it and often cant bring myself to do it)