I made my version of french onion soup tonight. It is a frugalicious soup that always makes me feel fancy for some reason.
- Slice 2 onions very thinly (use white or yellow- doesnt matter)
- Get a big pot and liberally coat the onion slices in oil (canola, olive, whatever you have)
- Cook on medium until the onions are unrecognizable
- - this is the secret. the onions must caramelize to get that slightly sweet taste. alot of restaurants do not allow the onions to cook long enough.
- Your house will smell like lovely food cooking.
- Add beef broth (homemade, canned, from bullion cubes)
- Simmer for a while
- Add cheese and a hunk of bread (i have used provolone, swiss, and mozzarella before)