Monday, December 10, 2007

French Onion Soup

So blogger is not allowing me to upload pictures.

I made my version of french onion soup tonight. It is a frugalicious soup that always makes me feel fancy for some reason.

  • Slice 2 onions very thinly (use white or yellow- doesnt matter)
  • Get a big pot and liberally coat the onion slices in oil (canola, olive, whatever you have)
  • Cook on medium until the onions are unrecognizable
  • - this is the secret. the onions must caramelize to get that slightly sweet taste. alot of restaurants do not allow the onions to cook long enough.
  • Your house will smell like lovely food cooking.
  • Add beef broth (homemade, canned, from bullion cubes)
  • Simmer for a while
  • Add cheese and a hunk of bread (i have used provolone, swiss, and mozzarella before)
  • Enjoy!
This is my easy version. Of course if you wanted the more traditional version you would have to make croutons and broil to turn the cheese brown.

No comments: